Discussion List -
Sawnet Discussion List Policies
These policies have been framed by the moderator pool and the
- Sawnet is a woman-only discussion list.
- Sawnet is restricted to those over the age of 18.
- Shared or group accounts cannot be subscribed to Sawnet.
- Sawnet posts and digests are private and restricted to the
Sawnet members. They are not to be shared with or forwarded to
any other person, male or female, without the explicit permission
of the original author of the post. This is to ensure that each
writer retains control over her own words.
- Only Sawnet subscribers can post to Sawnet.
- We make an effort to verify the identity of all Sawnet
subscribers, and to limit distribution of digests to members
only, but we cannot guarantee confidentiality. There are over 1000
subscribers to Sawnet, on several continents. If the privacy
of your post is very important to you, consider posting anonymously,
or perhaps not posting very private and personal stuff at all.
- The Sawnet anonymous posting feature is intended for private or
personal posts. It is not intended as a way to flame another person
while remaining anonymous yourself. Strongly worded anonymous posts
directed at other members or their posts may be rejected by the moderators.
- We cannot and will not regulate the behaviour of Sawnet members
outside of what they post to the list, and even that, we keep to a
- Subscribers are entirely responsible for their own posts
and email. Sawnet (the discussion list or web site as a whole),
and/or the moderators, do not endorse the opinions or beliefs of
- The posts are moderated in the sense that abusive or purely
provocative posts may be moved to the Sunday Special digest by
the moderator, but there
will be no other attempt to edit messages.
- Commercial posts:
- Blatantly commercial posts are not accepted. However, the line
between commercial and non-commercial posts is not always
clear. If you want to announce your book, video, exhibition
or journal paper to Sawnet, the polite and appropriate way
is to post a short announcement and invite interested people
to write to you for details. Or you can post a website
address where there is more information. Long advertisements
will be rejected. It is also highly inappropriate to send
advertising to Sawnet subscribers by private email.
- Studies of South Asian women:
- According to a vote of the membership, no study can describe
Sawnet as a whole, or make global statements based on Sawnet
posts (e.g. 'Sawnet subscribers are...'). You can, however,
post a note on Sawnet inviting participants to join your
study, and can use whatever they send her. If the participants
give you explicit permission, you can also use their Sawnet
posts. But the study must be restricted to the people who
respond to the request.
- Forwarding articles, newsclips etc.
- Forwarding long newsclips or articles to Sawnet, however
interesting they may be, is discouraged. It is far
better to post a short summary or your own opinion
about the article, and perhaps offer to email the entire
text to anyone who is interested. Or, if possible, put
the article up in a public ftp or web site, and post
the address to Sawnet. If you must forward a newsclip,
you are responsible for determining whether you are
violating any copyright laws. Check the source for
copyrights, and if in doubt, don't.
Guidelines for posts to be moved to the Sunday Special
- Confrontation (i.e. disagreeing with the content of a post) is acceptable, but name-calling is not.
- Difference of opinion is fine, but categorizing another poster as
close-minded conservative or flaming liberal or (g)na(t)zi or
anything else is not. E.g, language such as the following will
warrant your post being rejected from the main list and relegated to
the weekly digest:
"you are the most/worst (category of choice here) I've ever
"chill out/take a hike/stop posting/go fall off a cliff"
"you/your posts make me sick/throw up/etc."
"you are anti-(religious/ethnic group of choice) or (group of
- anything abusing the poster/casting aspersions on her
integrity/character/professional abilities rather than questioning
her post is rejectable from the main list.
- moderators will reject rudeness, obnoxious language, and purely
provocative posts from the main list. All these will be bumped to
the weekly digest.
You can't be subscribed only to the weekly digest, and you can't post
directly to it. Posts will be redirected at moderators' discretion,
and not at a poster's request.
The moderator will inform the subscriber that her post will appear in the Sunday digest. The subscriber can choose to retract her post.
- If you're a novice to the Internet or to discussion lists, the
Home Page is recommended.
- Arguments often get heated, and there's a fine line between
supporting your position and flaming someone else's. When
opposing, give the other person's motives the benefit of the doubt.
Do restrict your opposition to the topic under discussion, and avoid
making assumptions or generalizations about the character,
personality or background of your opponent.
- Do assume that we've made our choices in life with much
and often with anxiety, and don't damn someone else's choice of
parenthood, career, marriage or lifestyle, or lack thereof.
- The members of this group are on four continents and are of all
ethnic origins, and educational fields. Don't assume that everyone
in the same environment as you are.
- If you have complaints about the way the group is run, feel free
post or email to
the moderator. The system is not fixed in
can be modified to echo the views of the participants. However,
over the past 5 years of Sawnet history, most policies have been
debated and voted on, so talk to one of the moderators before
you suggest major changes in policy.
Why can't men subscribe?
The Sawnet list moderators