Sawnet - Cinema -
was born in Amritsar and received a degree in philosophy from the University of New Delhi. She moved to Canada, where she began her cinematic career writing scripts for children's films.
- The Politics of Deepa Mehta's Water. Her camera assistant writes about the controversy surrounding Water, where the filming was stopped.
- at the SAJA gathering.
Set in 1938 Colonial India, against Mahatma Gandhi's rise to power, the story begins when
eight-year-old Chuyia is widowed and sent to a home where Hindu widows must live in penitence. Chuyia’s feisty presence affects the lives of the other residents, including a young widow, who falls for a Gandhian idealist.
(2005, 1hr, 54 min)
- Sawnet Review by Shipra Mandal
- Sawnet Review of Shooting Water, a book about the
filming of this film, by Deepa Mehta's daughter.
- Water website
- Lots of other reviews
Based on Bapsi Sidhwa's "Cracking India", a searing story set around the India-Pakistan Partition of 1947.
- Sawnet Review by Meena Narahari, Kavita Chetty, Aravinda Pillalamarri, Sujata Pal, Susan Chacko, Reeta Sinha, Nithya Krishnaswami, Tanushree, Paromita Vohra
- Interview at the Toronto film festival. in Himal.
- "If people want to separate they should understand what it would really mean.
- Pics of actors,
authors and director, from a SAJA event.
Interview with Deepa Mehta in Earth Times.
Review from Palo Alto Weekky (scroll down).
Review from the Hindu, 10 Oct 99.
from Outlook, 11 Oct 99.
Review from Pakistan Link
from Planet Bollywood
Review from the Washington Post
Set in contemporary India, Fire is the bold and compelling story of two sisters-in-law who break the bonds of obedience and tradition to start a new life together. Stars Shabana Azmi and Nandita Das.
- Sawnet Review by Sonya Pelia, Madhushree Ghosh, Raka Ray, Farah Nousheen, Shobana Swamy, Uma Parameswaran, Ranjani Saigal, Manjusree Sen, Pia Sen
- Deepa's Doctrine. Interview about Fire.
- Fire creates controversy and protests
in India -- an ongoing update of news reports.
- Madhu Kishwar on Fire, along
with responses by Sawnet subscribers, and the rest of the
A story about two women, one young and one old, who get a second chance at love. Stars Jessica Tandy and Bridget Fonda.
- Sam and me
23-year-old Nikhil comes to Canada from India to find his fortune and is convinced by his uncle to work as a companion and care-giver to Sam, an elderly Jewish man. Their unlikely friendship gives both men new insight into life.
Sawnet film reviews
Contact us: info-at-sawnet-dot-org